Please note: The entries in this blog, being under no official format, and being of a somewhat random nature, will be subject to change or editing without any kind of notice. I like to go back and re-do things a little bit sometimes, but I don't think it'll be necessary to alert the entire world to every little tweak. Point is, just in case you were wondering, there will be editing.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Journeying On

"Well perhaps you're a man who's in search of his heart. Journey on."
-Tateh
Ragtime: The Musical

Corny? To quote a line from a musical and use it slightly out of context to fit my topic? Maybe. But it's not your blog, is it?

I've begun work on a community (volunteer, free, pro bono, no moola) production of William Shakespeare's KING LEAR. I hadn't really intended on auditioning, and I've been very much trying to excel to the next level of my path, whatever that may be. However, the ghost of a good friend decended from the heavens of a place called "oh-hi-oh", and convinced me that while I search for that next progressive step, I should continue to hone my craft with LEAR and try to enjoy myself in the process.

Then he beamed back to his alternate universe. Tricky bastard.

You see, i've come to view community theater as a sort of "simulator". A training course. If properly used, it can help you to train and practice, but that's all. You can't excell. You can't climb the ladder. It's not the real game. It's reach is short and it's audiences small, and repetetitve. Don't get me wrong, the productions can be good. Hell, the productions can be great. I've been a part of some productions in community theater that I think were of a caliber that puts some professional productions to shame. But sadly, in the end it's still considered "just" community theater. It's still the simulator.

So, here I am, back in the simulator, but ready to embrace the training. I will be playing the Duke of Cornwall. The challenge here will be to break from the usual overdramatic villainy that the audiences i've previously performed for must be very very sick of by now. I'm setting some vague goals for myself with this character.

Goal #1) To bring an element of comedy to the role. I read a long time ago a bit of advice in villainy that i've yet to take. A funny villain is a villain that people enjoy watching. If you think about it for a second, you'll agree. I wish that I had applied that to my Richard Gloucester. I was really dissappointed in my performance of that role, and in retrospect, he would have been the perfect test subject for this comedy theory.

Cornwall will be a little tougher to do this with, and I'm aware that I may fail, but that's going to be my starting point. To be a likeable villain. Then, when i'm ripping out another man's eyes later in the play, it will hopefully be all the more affective.

Goal #2) To lose weight.

Okay, this is less Lear related and a little more general health, but i'm using Lear's schedule as an outline so get off my back already, okay? A few years ago, I managed to drop about 50 pounds total. I've since put every ounce back on. I was able to lose it once, I must be able to do it again. Do I expect to lose 50 by Lear? No, that would be unhealthy and awesome. However, i'm keeping this goal simple and attainable. Maybe i'll "Lose 10-20 pounds by opening night." It's important not only to my health, but more importantly to my ability as a performer. Fat actors have less options. Fat actors have less capability.

...and that's really it. 2 goals. Not bad, i'd say. Will I succeed? I don't know. We'll find out I suppose, but I think they're both good ideas and worth striving for.

It's the continuation of (if not a complete return-to) a journey of self-improvement. A meditation, if you will. There are plent of reasons "why" to do Lear and not enough reasons "why not". I'll keep searching for the key to the next door I need, and in the meantime i'll hopefully sharpen myself a little and have some fun.

Get the quote now?
Still corny, I know.

But it's not your blog.

-Brendan

1 comment:

  1. ON THE SUBJECT OF GOALS.....

    It has been my conclusion so far ,
    after close to fifty years of studying the subject ,
    that there are three all important elements necessary in the accomplishment of A N Y goal;

    1)faith, basically the decision part.
    2)hope, this is the feel/emotional/desire/passion
    thing.
    3)love, the actual doing or acting on it.

    If you can understand these three ingredients than

    "all things are possible with God".

    It is not a religion thing, its a psychological thing. Its mind over matter, its advanced physics.

    Tip: You must practice the positive FEELING of reaching your goal constantly.

    This is the truth.

    ReplyDelete